Checkout on Instagram is the marketplace feature on Instagram that allows physical products to be sold through Shoppable Posts. Checkout happens through the app itself, and not offsite.
What do I need to set up my account for Checkout on Instagram as a retailer?
Checkout on Instagram is only available to sellers with a US-based business account, EIN (employer identification number), and US address.
- You will need to turn your Instagram account into a business account if you haven’t already.
- Fill out the checkout on Instagram interest form. You will need to be approved before you can participate in the checkout on Instagram beta.
- Get your Instagram handle whitelisted. Because this is a beta program, Facebook will need to whitelist your handle to enable the checkout functionality for your account. This is different from submitting the interest form, and Feedonomics can help you with this step.
- Set up Commerce Manager through your Facebook Business page. This will give you access to inventory, orders, checkout, and payouts.
This is what you will need to set up Commerce Manager:
- Business information: Your legal business name, address and contact information.
- Business Email Address: Receive notifications around shop setup, alerts, summary insights, chargeback notifications.
- Business Category
- Customer Service Email Address: To relay customer service requests
- Business Representative Information: Name and date of birth.
- Employer Identification Number (EIN): To set up your payments account.
- Banking Information: Account and routing numbers.
- State Tax Registration Number: For every U.S. state where you have tax nexus.
- Shipping Options
- Return Policy
- Connect your Facebook Page and your Instagram account.
What are the commission rates and selling fees for checkout on Instagram?
Instagram selling fees are automatically deducted from your payouts. Instagram’s selling fee is 5% per shipment, and does not vary by product category. Shipments of $8.00 or less will have a flat fee of $0.40. The selling fee includes taxes and any payment processing costs.
What are the image requirements for checkout on Instagram?
Instagram product images display in square (1:1) format.
Instagram accepts the following file types for product image URLs: GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP, and TIFF. The max file size is 8 MB. The minimum image resolution is 500 x 500 pixels. For best results, an image resolution of 1024 x 1024 pixels is recommended.
Do I need approval to list products in certain categories for Checkout on Instagram?
Businesses must be approved by Instagram before they can participate in the checkout on Instagram beta.
Are UPCs or GTINs required to sell products through Checkout on Instagram?
GTINs and UPCs are not required at this time. You must provide at least one of the following: brand, MPN (manufacturer part number), or GTIN.
Contact Feedonomics today to learn how our marketplace specialists can help your business with everything from product listing to order management!
Find out why the world's most prolific brands and online retailers choose Feedonomics.
Brian Roizen is the Cofounder and Chief Architect of Feedonomics, a full-service feed optimization platform that optimizes product data for hundreds of channels. He has been featured on numerous podcasts and eCommerce webinars, and regularly contributes to Search Engine Land and other industry-leading blogs. Brian graduated summa cum laude from UCLA with both a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.