Checkout on Instagram is the marketplace feature on Instagram that allows physical products to be sold through shoppable posts similar to Shopify. Checkout happens through the app itself, and not offsite, making it easier to create shoppable opportunities for your followers.
This will blog will help you start selling on Instagram. Read the important seller requirements for your Instagram store and learn about selling fees.
How Do I Set Up Checkout on Instagram?
Checkout on Instagram is only available to sellers with a US-based business account, employer identification number (EIN), and a US address. These are the steps qualified sellers must take to set up Checkout on Instagram.
- Turn your Instagram account into a business account, if you haven’t already.
- Set up Commerce Manager through your Facebook Business page. This gives you access to inventory, orders, checkout, and payouts.
Here’s what you need to set up Commerce Manager:
- Business information: Your legal business name, address, and contact information.
- Business Email Address: Receive notifications around shop setup, alerts, summary insights, and chargeback notifications.
- Business Category: Helps Facebook categorize your business and provide specific features based on the category you choose.
- Customer Service Email Address: To relay customer service requests.
- Business Representative Information: Name and date of birth.
- Employer Identification Number (EIN): To set up your payments account.
- Banking Information: Account and routing numbers.
- State Tax Registration Number: For every U.S. state where you have tax nexus.
- Shipping Options: To set your shipping speed and rates for the regions you ship within.
- Return Policy: To specify if you have any return policy restrictions.
- Connect your Facebook Page and your Instagram account.
- Add items to your Instagram product catalog. These are the for-sale products in your live shop.
Now that you’re all set up, check out these additional tips and the FAQs below to maximize the success of your Instagram storefront!
What are the commission rates and selling fees for checkout on Instagram?
Instagram shop selling fees are automatically deducted from your payouts. Instagram’s selling fee is 5% per shipment and does not vary by product category. Shipments of $8 or less have a flat fee of 40 cents. The selling fee includes taxes and any payment processing costs. However, fees are currently waived through December 31, 2022, to assist small businesses that are recovering from the pandemic.
What are the image requirements for checkout on Instagram?
Instagram product images display in square (1:1) format.
Instagram accepts the following file types for product image URLs: GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP, and TIFF. The max file size is 8 MB. The minimum image resolution is 500 x 500 pixels. For best results, an image resolution of 1024 x 1024 pixels is recommended.
Are UPCs or GTINs required to sell products through Checkout on Instagram?
GTINs and UPCs are not required at this time. You must provide at least one of the following: brand, manufacturer part number, or GTIN.
How can I get the most out of Checkout on Instagram?
Juggling large product inventories while trying to maintain optimized instagram shoppable feeds can make it difficult for your Instagram business to grow. Contact Feedonomics today to learn how our marketplace specialists can h your business.
Brian Roizen is the Cofounder and Chief Architect of Feedonomics, a full-service feed optimization platform that optimizes product data for hundreds of channels. He has been featured on numerous podcasts and eCommerce webinars, and regularly contributes to Search Engine Land and other industry-leading blogs. Brian graduated summa cum laude from UCLA with both a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.