eBay has been around since 1995. Over the years they have become one of the largest companies in the world and have established a very strong presence on the internet.
Here are some lesser known statistics that will interest you!
*These statistics are based on latest known reports. Some may be older than others.
- eBay makes about $90 billion in sales a year ($45 billion are from mobile devices)
- There are about 175 million people who use eBay as of 2018.
- There are about 25 million people who sell on eBay as of 2015.
- 6.7 million US sellers were using eBay in 2017.
- There are about 250 million people using eBay classified ads as of 2017.
- Total dollar value of items sold in 2017 is $88.4 billion.
- eBay’s total revenue for 2017 is $9.567 billion.
- As of 2017, eBay’s mobile app has been downloaded about 400 million times.
- eBay hosts about 1 billion products as of 2017.
- In 2017, it was reported that 58% of eBay’s revenue was from international users.
- eBay sells products in over 100 countries (amazing compared to Amazon who only sells in about 45)
- As of 2016, about 81% of products on eBay were reported as new.
- In 2017, eBay reported have about 12,600 employees.
- eBay costs less than Amazon for merchants to use and does not compete with them, either.
- Most merchants report that over 77% of their orders are for new clients.
Although these difficult to find statistics can help merchants succeed, especially the information from Marketplace Research, it is not enough. If you are trying to get your products listed on eBay, see all the things we offer to make this process as easy as possible.
Find out why the world's most prolific brands and online retailers choose Feedonomics
Brian Roizen is the Cofounder and Chief Architect of Feedonomics, a full-service feed optimization platform that optimizes product data for hundreds of channels. He has been featured on numerous podcasts and eCommerce webinars, and regularly contributes to Search Engine Land and other industry-leading blogs. Brian graduated summa cum laude from UCLA with both a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.