Make things easier for yourself with ad customizers. With minimal setup effort, you can start serving highly relevant, timely messaging to super granular audiences. Implementing countdown functions in ads is a no-brainer (not only for promotional windows but also for important dates like shipping cutoffs). These ads tend to drive high engagement & performance. As a bonus, countdown ads automatically stop serving after their time window closes – leaving you more time to kick back with a tumbler of eggnog. IF functions in ads are a great way to provide users with highly targeted ad copy without adding to the management burden of an account with extra bulk – for example, hitting specific audiences with tailored promo copy, or devices with specific calls to action (“call now” vs “learn more” for example) combined with appropriate bid modifiers on top of your search audience segments is an easy way to get extra mileage out of your adspend during the Black Fiveday rush.
David W. Torres – Paid Search Analyst
- Prepare early – Schedule your campaigns two weeks to one month in advance. There are exponentially more advertisers on the platform during this time. Issues can arise, like Facebook shutting down, a slow review process, disapprovals. The last thing you want is to be in review on Black Friday — missing out on revenue for your clients.
- Start thinking Black Friday as early as October. October typically is a difficult month on Facebook. CPMS are rising because more advertisers are on the platform. Focus on acquisition during this time so that you can fill your funnel and hit those people hard during Black Friday.
- Run your sale longer than just Black Friday weekend – Make the most of the high buyer intent and high conversion rate. Run your sale campaigns at least 1 week in advance so that you have time to optimize heading into Black Friday weekend.
- Scale more than you ever think you could. Scale your budget dramatically when you see winners (10x more than normal) attribution is huge during this time. Cost per acquisition may look high in the middle of the month but scale knowing you will see these numbers drop dramatically over the full attribution window.
- Simple, direct response ad copy works. No need to overthink ad copy. Focus on the discount in both ad copy and creative. Customers are looking for discounts during this time. You don’t need to “sell” with value props as you do during the rest of the year.
Megan Light – Senior Facebook Campaign Manager
Automation is your friend when it comes to the Black Fiveday weekend. Everyone is trying to enjoy the holidays, so let automation do some of the heavy lifting. One thing we utilize as ad managers is auto rules. During the week leading up to Black Friday, set up all of your promotional ads to activate & pause based on the given promotion. You can schedule your evergreen ads to pause so the promotional ads fully take over. Setting bid modifiers can help maximize ad exposure during peak buying times. For example, you can set an increased bid modifier for Fridays & Mondays going into the weekend. Just remember to change it back the following week. Use scripts to generate email alerts for depleted budgets so sales aren’t left on the table. There are lots of tricks to help scale the ad work, but you’ll still need to monitor everything to ensure the automation is doing what it’s intended to do.
Seth Newton – Director of Media
Brian Roizen is the Cofounder and Chief Architect of Feedonomics, a full-service feed optimization platform that optimizes product data for hundreds of channels. He has been featured on numerous podcasts and eCommerce webinars, and regularly contributes to Search Engine Land and other industry-leading blogs. Brian graduated summa cum laude from UCLA with both a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Find out why over 30% of the top 1,000 Internet Retailers choose Feedonomics.